Thursday, July 5, 2007

"One country, one flag, one people"

We spent Wednesday morning up Millcreek canyon with all the Holbrooks. We enjoyed a yummy pancake breakfast and enjoyed catching up with family. Later at night we headed up to mom & dad’s where Jackson & Emily (as well as the rest of us) were thoroughly entertained at their attempts at trying to stay upright on the trampoline. Emily’s such a show off and just loves attention – can you tell? Once it was dark enough we headed out front for fireworks. Emily cuddled up to us and sat in awe at all the brightly colored sparks. It was one of those rewarding moments as a parent.

For me,this Independence Day has created new sentiment and respect for the holiday. Part of it is because I now have a daughter to share it with, but also because of what we are celebrating – a young nation declaring its independence from a world empire and daring to stand and fight for what they knew was right. This act has created freedom for millions and provided the opportunity for the gospel to be restored. In church on Sunday we sang “The Star Spangled Banner” and it’s never hit me so hard before. The spirit was so strong in that meeting and I couldn't help but notice our Bishop. He stood up there on the stand with tears in his eyes and sang those words with conviction. Being that he grew up behind the iron curtain, I’m sure he fully appreciates the freedom and opportunities this country provides. How sad it is that some do not understand how lucky they are. I think we tend to take our freedom for granted when we’ve never really been without it. How grateful I am for the privilege to be an American and all the opportunities that come with it. Don’t we live in a great country?

1 comment:

Anna said...

Emily is such a character! I love it!