Sunday, October 14, 2007

Fear Nothing

Last Friday and Saturday were spent up on campus with Special Olympics. This was our fifth year being on the GOC (Games Organizing Committee) so we were able to see a lot of old friends and also meet some new ones. Friday was full of the usual craziness. When lunch was supposed to be starting we found out that it was double-booked for Saturday and we didn’t have anyone scheduled for Friday. Jeff’s parents were kind enough to let us drop Emily off for the rest of the day while he ran around with other GOC members frantically clearing out all of the Little Caesar’s Pizza’s near the U and I stayed on campus filling in where I was needed. After things calmed down it was realized that we had a ton of extras. We loaded 40 pizzas on a golf cart and drove around handing out free pizza. We went up to the PT school and gave out several up there. There were some 1st year Med students in the building studying for a test so they were excited to get some too. It was probably the most fun we had. I’m sure we looked pretty strange driving around in matching t-shirts asking people if they wanted free pizza. But it didn't stop them from accepting it.

Emily was of course a huge hit with SOUT, GOC, volunteers, athletes & coaches. The above athlete saw her and said “Let’s go get some cotton candy” and off they went. Jeff was right behind them and was quick to suggest popcorn instead of cotton candy. Emily had more than enough treats those two days. She was also absolutely in love with the golf carts and we couldn't walk past one without her wanting to get on. As previously mentioned Emily is quite the little dancer and while up there she displayed her talent for all to see. Once she got up on the dance floor we couldn’t get her away.


Since we’ve been involved so long, when it comes to athletes we definitely have a few favorites. This is Jeremy and he is a very good bocce player and actually quite a big flirt. I don’t know how many times I was asked if I was going to be at the dance – and he wasn’t the only one who asked. The dance is always everyone’s favorite event. There are several more athletes that we always have a good time with and enjoy hearing about how they won their medals. Yet again we were unable to watch any swimming though. I guess there's always next year, right?

Good job Tyler & Mallory. It was a great games and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves (even though you couldn't get Emily a t-shirt). Thanks for letting us be on your committee!

1 comment:

Anna said...

That is awesome that you guys volunteer. My friend's little brother competes in the Special Olympics and we've gone to a few of his events. I love the Special Olympics. Way to go guys!