Sunday, August 24, 2008

When you're busy doing things to blog about, how do you find the time to actually post them?

It's been a busy couple of weeks. To make up for my last post this one has plenty of Emily (which a certain grandparent happened to notice was missing in my last post).

Lisa gave Emily her first haircut (minus the few bang trimmings she's already had) when we were at Sunday dinner. Emily was a very good girl. She held perfectly still and was so excited to have Lisa do it. Only Lisa could be amazing at cutting hair and amazing with kids. (And did I mention she's amazingly talented with the piano and gorgeous to boot?)


A lot of our time the past two weeks has been spent out back. When the slide & the car were too hot to play with we'd pull out the chalk. Emily has loved decorating Gma & Gpa Holbrook's retaining walls, sidewalk, and garbage cans, so I thought I'd give her a go at our own house. Of course we don't have as much to color, but she still enjoys herself.

We are also making a few tiny steps towards potty training. Emily has a full set of princess underwear and I've got a good supply of prizes for when she actually goes in the potty. Here she is showing off her Cinderella underwear and her most recently earned prize - a candy bracelet.


Last weekend we had a ward party at the park. Emily loved playing with all the kids and climbing around on the playground. They had popcicles for all the kids and even made balloon animals and stuff for them. Not the best picture of Emily posing with her flower, but I at least slowed her down long enough to take a picture of her with it.


Last Wednesday we decided to hike Doughnut Falls. Jeff ended up carrying Emily most of the way up, but she hiked down by herself. Part way up the trail we came across a moose and her two babies. We quickly stopped and started backing away when she started walking towards us. After a few steps she turned off into the trees and went off with her babies trailing behind her. As soon as she was gone we realized we probably should have taken a picture of it. But in such a situation I think we were smart to go with safety first.


Emily loved the water when we reached it. She willingly put down all of her rocks and sticks so she could touch it. It was a fun hike and we're so glad we live close to the mountains and can enjoy their beauty.

My sister Jenny and I went to my parents house to let the kids play the other day. They had a blast swinging in the hammock and playing on the water slide. Emily is now very good at climbing up the slide and she's started washing the grass off her feet before sliding down. It's pretty funny. Sara wasn't very interested in the slide, but loved the hammock and I was able to get a few shots of her. It was a fun afternoon and we finished it off with a yummy lunch. Thanks mom!

Sara, Sam, & Emily
Washing her feet off

Sara playing in the hammock

Saturday we had the annual Johnson Family Reunion. Emily was very excited for it because it was at Eliza's house (Jeff's cousin). The only way I could get Emily to stay in her bed and take a nap that day was telling her we couldn't go to Eliza's if she didn't sleep. Worked like a charm. We had a good dinner (thanks for putting it together Laurie) and we got to visit with family we hadn't seen in a while. We got to see all the new babies and find out about new ones that are coming. I'm so glad I married into this family. They are amazing!

Emily, Cousin Emily, & Niki


Swinging with Eliza
Swinging with Papa Holbrook

4 comments:

Jessie said...

What a lot of cute pictures. You are a great mom! You do so many fun things with your family. Your welcome for the lunch and the play date. I love to see my grandchildren.

Gpa Holbrook said...

Yea - pictures of Emily - and more pictures of Emily. Fun hike, parties, activities and haircut. Families are forever and you and Jeff have started a great one. We are also grateful for the Newman family in our life. Life just keeps getting better.

Marli said...

Emily is seriously so stinkin cute!! It is good to know that Hayden will have such an attractive wife. ;)

Stan and Mel said...

Fun, Fun! I didn't know Emily was so attached to Eliza. We think she is pretty cute too! By the way, who in the Johnson family just had babies (I know parker and Lindsay did and who is expecting now). We don't hear much of the family gossip being far away.