Doesn't the word "summer" usually go with the term "lazy days"? Cause we could really use some of those right now.

It all started two weeks ago. After our slew of birthday celebrations we decided to start on our home projects for the summer. Jeff spent a couple days re-painting our downstairs and adding an accent wall in our family room. The next project was putting wood flooring down in our dining area. We weren't sure when we were going to actually lay the wood because we were at the mercy of my dad's unpredictable work schedule. But on Tuesday the 16th my dad told us to pull up the carpet and get it ready. Then bright and early Wednesday morning he showed up to level the concrete pad. I took off with Emily so we wouldn't be "in the way." Well I guess I should have paid more attention to my dad's leveling plans. I came home to concrete dust all over the downstairs due to his sanding. I spent the rest of the afternoon/evening wiping everything down - three times. (And then another 4 hours cleaning the house again on Friday. Thanks again to my wonderful mother-in-law who volunteered to come and help me the whole time. Not to mention my great father-in-law who came and entertained Emily while we cleaned).

Jeff and my dad started laying the floor around 6:00pm Wednesday night. I finally went to bed around 10:00pm and Jeff didn't come up till after midnight. (I'm sure our neighbors loved the power saws and hammering that late at night). My dad came over the next day, along with Jeff's dad, and finished the floor in a couple of hours.
So here we are 10 days after installing the floor and Jeff has yet to officially finish our project. We still need a couple of trim pieces installed and our molding put back up. But since he went a full week with 6 hours or less of sleep each night and physically worked so hard on the house after being completely drained from work every day, I really don't feel like I can complain. Especially since a lot of the project time happened like this: Jeff scraping glued carpet pad from the floor while I sat on the couch reading and eating ice cream.
I can post a final picture of the floor once we get the trim & molding back up - however Jeff says it's not going to happen till August. Hopefully that's just wishful thinking on his part. As for my brown accent wall - I love it. I just have to figure out how I'm going to decorate the thing now. I'm definitely up for a change in the family room and would like to re-do a lot of the decoration in there. But due to the cost of it and my limited budget, it will be quite a while before that is done.
With having our house torn apart and living in a disaster zone for a week or so I told Jeff that when/if we buy a house that needs to be "fixed up" we're at least doing the kitchen before we move in. I don't know how you could live in a place and fix it up at the same time. Especially with kids.
2 comments:
The floor turned out great. What a talented father you have...and a terrific husband! Isn't it so nice to be able to do those home projects yourselves and not have to hire someone?
It's nice to have done it ourselves now, but at the time it sucked and I was wishing that we had hired it out. Plus if we had hired it out it would be done by now, not hanging over our heads still. Thanks a lot Layne & Dad for your help.
Post a Comment