Sunday, September 9, 2012

Adjusting

I have said multiple times that adding a third kid has been the biggest adjustment for me. Now I don't know if it's because it's #3, there's a smaller age gap between Jacob & Eliza than there was between Emily & Jacob, or because babies just aren't that easy (usually). The first two months Eliza was actually a piece of cake. Well, compared to the other two. They're the ones that gave me heck. Now that we're at the three month mark Emily and Jacob seemed to have figured things out for the most part and with school starting we're in a pretty good routine. But now Eliza seems to think it's her turn to wreak havoc on my life. Don't worry, she's still completely adorable and I still love her to pieces. I just wish I could get things done around here. You see, Eliza will only nap in my arms. Yup. My life is practically spent on the couch because let's face it, it's better to have a sleeping baby and a messy house than an exhausted, screaming baby and well, probably still a messy house. (And before suggestions come rolling in, yes I've pretty much tried everything besides just letting her cry it out. And I believe she's too young for that. But come November if this is still going on ... ). 
 
However, about a week or two ago Eliza and I have seemed to come to an agreement. 
 
Exhibit A:

 
Exhibit B:
If I pay attention and get my timing right I can get her to fall asleep in her bouncer or swing and take a 1-2 hour nap in the morning. Hello shower! Of course it doesn't always work and the afternoons are still spent with her in my arms. But hopefully we're getting closer to figuring this out!

And what would I do without wonderful support? Jeff has been so awesome. Not only does he work extremely long hours, but he helps with the kids, makes dinner when I just can't get to it, and as pictured below, helps me around the house.
I'd also be lost without Emily. The past three months she has been such a great help (when she wants to be). She will help keep Eliza entertained and happy, safe from Jacob, and will at times hold her for a nap. She is also great at playing with Jacob. We are greatly missing her while she is at school!
And of course there are these little hands. They can cause so much trouble but can also be a great help too. Jacob just absolutely adores his baby sister (whom he calls Lizzy, baby, lizard, sister, Liza or some combination of the 5). If only we could get him to grasp the concept of being gentle I wouldn't have to worry so much about leaving Eliza within reach of him.
But as hard as this transition has been for me, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Just seeing the three of them together is completely worth it. I just love that no matter how many years there are between them or how little Eliza is, they still have fun together.

And they are so good at making her smile!

3 comments:

Jessie said...

What a darling little family. You must be so pleased!

Nicole said...

Was the vacuum plugged in AND turned on? :)
The three of them together are adorable!

Perry's said...

Such a sweet family I have heard from multiple people 3 is hardest hang in there.