Monday, November 19, 2007

Chapter One

Well, as you have probably noticed from my lack of posts, I’ve been a little busy this month. I’ve pretty much completed my Christmas shopping in attempts to reach my goal of being done by Thanksgiving and I’ve now taken on the task of planning next spring’s adventures back East. The rest of my time has been filled with the usual tasks and also a few good books. It is always when I throw myself into a well-written novel that my apparently subconscious desires to become an author surface. It is then that I begin to ponder more and in my mind I narrate my life as if someone else were privy to my thoughts (I know, I’m a bit nuts).

As I let that desire take over this morning and attempt to describe the moment, I was suddenly overcome with the role of motherhood. I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to be home and be in the company of Emily. The last two years quickly passed before me as I remembered finding out I was expecting, the journey through pregnancy, and the many roads we’ve traveled since Emily was born. As I thought of that process and where Emily is today I was amazed at how far she has come in so little time. She now runs from one place to another, walking is never fast enough. She attempts to repeat anything we say and adds to her vocabulary daily. She loves other kids and babies and just can’t seem to stay away from them. Emily is a happy little girl whose smile lights up a room and is extremely contagious. What an immense and overwhelming responsibility to be trusted with, and yet what a blessing. There are plenty of times that I wonder why I ever desired to have a child and why I would ever want another one. But those thoughts are always quickly drowned out by the deep love and joy only a child can bring.

As I sat their meditating life’s joys and how trusting God can be, I was suddenly aware of a sucking noise just to my left. I tuned back into reality to see Emily with her cheeks sucked in and her lips pursed together trying to get my attention. I had time for a quick smile before she planted one on me. After kissing me, she backed up for a second and just looked at me before stepping forward to kiss me again. Emily then proceeded to cross the room and play with her toys, leaving me to my musings and just happy to be a mom.

1 comment:

Perry's said...

Wow look how big she is she is beautiful, hope you guys are doing well!