Tuesday, July 8, 2008

S.O.S

About a year after Jeff and I were married we made plans to expand our family even further and started trying to get pregnant. Through many, many prayers, just as many tears, and twelve long months of effort, we finally became pregnant. Nine months later we were blessed with our sweet little Emily. I can't describe how hard that year was and how emotional the whole experience was. Only those that have had such an experience could ever understand the thoughts, fears, and emotions that go through your mind during such a time. They are a constant companion and never leave. You may be distracted at any given time, but behind the diversion you are praying and wondering if you'll ever be blessed with motherhood. Any mention of a baby or someone being pregnant sends you over the edge and who knows when you'll resurface. And all those well-intentioned people asking when you'll join the ranks of parenthood have no idea how much hurt such a "simple" question inflicts. Because of this experience I know how painful such questions can be and I have vowed I would never ask them.

Even now, three years since it all began, the subject is still very entangled in a thick layer of emotion. If I even think of thinking to start trying again tears come to my eyes and I wonder if I could survive such a roller coaster again. I know the Lord knows what I can handle and I'm grateful he has seen fit to bless me with my sweet little girl. But knowing that still doesn't make it any easier.

I know there are others out there with similar stories and also those with tales more heart wrenching than my own. For those of you quietly suffering, maybe my sister's sister-in-law's blog can help. And for those of you who are fortunate enough to never have had such experiences, maybe it will help you appreciate your stubborn & indepenent two-year-old even more.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for sharing Becca. It just makes Emily even more special. She's such an amazing little girl.

I know it's an emotional and difficult topic. I have very close friends who have made me more aware and sensitive to the issue of infertility. It does make me grateful for what I have.

Marli said...

I agree with Anna. Emily is an amazing little girl and I think it is because she has such a great and amazing mom.

Thanks for the reminder of how lucky I am to have Hayden, I needed it.

happytiff said...

I'm SO sorry, I had no idea that you went through that. I have been there...Hayden and Lexi are 5 and a 1/2 years apart, and although three yrs of trying were very rough, in hindsight, I'm so thankful for the age difference. I'm SO grateful for my precious babies. I still get asked often "if" and "when" we're gonna have more. (BTW, Thanks for not being one of them Ü)I'm so thankful for the two healthy, beautiful, fun, intelligent kids that I'm so blessed with, to be honest, I'd feel guilty asking for anything more. As for you, I am sure that you'll be blessed again, hang in there! Emily is so precious and sweet, and you're such a great mom!!! You guys are still young and have a long life ahead of you. Also, you were an Elementary Ed Major...so you might recall in the child psychology texts where they stated that 5 years between siblings is ideal, for BOTH of the children and their emotional growth.

happytiff said...

I'm SO sorry, I had no idea that you went through that. I have been there...Hayden and Lexi are 5 and a 1/2 years apart, and although three yrs of trying were very rough, in hindsight, I'm so thankful for the age difference. I'm SO grateful for my precious babies. I still get asked often "if" and "when" we're gonna have more. (BTW, Thanks for not being one of them Ü)I'm so thankful for the two healthy, beautiful, fun, intelligent kids that I'm so blessed with, to be honest, I'd feel guilty asking for anything more. As for you, I am sure that you'll be blessed again, hang in there! Emily is so precious and sweet, and you're such a great mom!!! You guys are still young and have a long life ahead of you. Also, you were an Elementary Ed Major...so you might recall in the child psychology texts where they stated that 5 years between siblings is ideal, for BOTH of the children and their emotional growth.