Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Where'd The Time Go?

Has it really been almost two weeks since I last posted? I can't believe we're almost half way through the month of August. And one more week of summer? Thank heavens we're done with school. I'm not ready to give up the "carefree" days of summer. Our month started out with a wedding. One of my really good friends from sorority got married on the 1st and I was lucky enough to do the flowers. I of course got a good pic of the bride, but I realized the only other picture was of the grooms bout... I didn't even get a picture of the new Mr. & Mrs. Velie, let alone the groom's face. Sorry guys. I guess I have a one track mind when I'm around flowers.

The rest of my time has been spent on my project for the month (well actually it'll be a project the next several). I'm working on our food storage. My father-in-law was very kind and bought Jeff and me a couple of overhead storage shelves for our garage. His generosity made it possible for us to store Christmas decorations, camping gear, baby clothes and other miscellaneous items in an otherwise wasted space and free up valuable closet space in Emily's room and also shelf space in the garage. The idea of planning and buying a year's supply of food is daunting enough - let alone trying to find a place to put it. (And for those of you who are interested, Macey's is having a big food storage sale right now).
And of course a big thank you to Dave for the shelving and sweated labor! I don't think my goal would have been possible without your help!

New overhead storage

The newly created shelf space

Along with the food storage project I've also committed myself to learning how to make bread. It took a few attempts (yeast is so dang finicky) but my latest attempt finally raised and I got my first loaf of homemade bread. I'm not claiming it's perfect - it sure doesn't look like Grandma Sycamore's - but hopefully the lucky streak sticks with me. And at least it tastes good.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

You're lucky to have a great father in law. I think the bread looks terrific. You can bring me a loaf anytime. We'll work on our food storage together!

Gpa Holbrook said...

Arline paid for the shelves, I helped Jeff install them. Hope they don't fall down. Thanks for your help in Niki's room. We all have needs and abilities to help others.
Good luck on the bread. Loaf looks great. We may need to swap recipes. I am amazed you posted a blog and not one picture of adorable Emily. Next time.

Marli said...

YOU ROCK!!! I will have to get tips and tricks on the food storage thing now that I have space too I don't have any excuse. Let me know when you find great deals. :)

Heather said...

Are you sure there wasn't an ulterior motive at hand?? The Holbrooks weren't hoping to free up some space in their basement, were they??

Jen said...

Good for you! We are still working on building a garage to house some food storage. If it is ever finished, I hope it looks as beautifully organized as yours! Oh, and if homemade bread tastes good, it won't last long enough for anyone to care what it looks like, right?

Perry's said...

Wow look at you go!! Everything is so neat and tidy! That bread looks delicious, you'll have to give me some tips!