Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Haunting We Will Go...

Emily has been so excited for Halloween so we started the festivities off on Thursday. Emily and I attended story time at the library where we read scary stories and sang songs. Then we made a spider sucker.
Then we found out that Emily won Harmon’s coloring contest! So we stopped by to claim her prize.

The Masterpiece
Then later that night we celebrated by decorating cookies. I had spent a big chunk of the day baking and trying to keep Emily’s fingers out of the cookie dough (she’s as bad as Jeff) and Emily spent the day singing and watching her princess movies. She was so excited about the whole thing she kept telling anyone we saw that she was going to decorate cookies after her nap. Knowing my daughter (and any 2 year old for that matter), I persuaded her to eat dinner first before she gorged on all the decorating goodies. Then when it was finally time to decorate her cookies, Emily plopped down in her chair and started eating the bowl of chocolate chips. Daddy helped her decorate a few and then Papa Newman took over. Emily had fun spilling sprinkles all over, giving every cookie eyes, noses and mouths, and eating everything she possibly could.
She then spent the next hour burning off all the sugar. She put Papa to bed (which he was only too willing to do) and then kept waking him up and saying it was a sunny day and time to eat breakfast. And all I can say is thank heavens for grandmas! Since Jeff and I were more than ready to follow my dad’s lead, Mama Newman jumped and hopped all around the house with Emily - literally.
Friday we got all dolled up and went to visit Mama Newman. Emily played with the cats while I toured the construction zone (my parents are remodeling the master bedroom) and then we were off to visit daddy’s work where Jeff was anxiously awaiting our arrival.
After visiting a few coworkers and patients (and fitting in a game of ladder golf), we completely stuffed ourselves on the lunch and goodies Jeff's work provided. Then it was off to bed for Emily… well, it was supposed to be. Our little fairy decided she didn’t need a nap on Halloween and spent an hour and a half saying she needed to go potty and playing with her toys instead. Finally I decided it was too late to put her down and started to get her dressed to go out again. She then threw a fit saying she wanted to take a nap. (ahh! Gotta love 2 year olds!) After I explained that we were going to Mama & Papa Holbrook’s and then trick or treating the tears completely dried up and she was more than ready to go.
After our visit with Jeff’s family we got ready to head over to our ward’s Trunk or Treat. The primary was in charge of it so I spent the night running around getting breadsticks and refilling punchbowls. Emily spent most of the night trying to find me, so Jeff spent his chasing Emily. After dinner & a parade with all the kids, we went outside for the main event. We had some great car decorating this year and a really good turn out. I don't ever recall a Halloween where I didn't wear a coat. But besides a few minutes of light sprinkling Emily was fine in tights and a jacket. It was so nice!!
"Trick or Treat!!"
Our car with the flash...
...and without
(lights never look as good on camera)
Yet again we left with more candy than we came with and we also had a daughter that was VERY ready for bed (and we weren’t far behind).

2 comments:

Jessie said...

I had so much fun jumping around with Emily. I always want to be a grandma that can have fun! Great costumes! That's a pretty cute fairy princess.

Snell Family said...

You did a great job with the trunk-or-treat. I can't stop thinking about the yummy breadsticks!