Saturday, February 28, 2009

Long Lost Playmate

Tuesday the 24th was our one year anniversary of arriving in Norfolk, VA for our 10 week stay at the "Holbrook Hotel." Brad & Heather missed us so much and thought the 24th should be celebrated they decided to come to Salt Lake for a quick visit. Actually they were in town for Heather's brother's wedding, but we like to think they came for us. Even though their time here was packed with wedding stuff, we were able to see them for a few hours and get the girls together again. Emily was very excited to play with Ella and show off her kitchen and dress up clothes.



It's hard to believe it's already been a year since we made our way across the country. Our adventures back East began a year of challenges and experiences we had never faced before. I remember missing home so much I can’t imagine how I would have dealt with moving away for Jeff’s grad school. I am so grateful to live close to family. To be completely honest I struggled with the tight quarters we stayed in and the lack of having my own house to run too. I also remember struggling with the time change and calling home and waking people up in the morning. While there I also began a spiritual growth spurt in response to a personal trial. I am still learning and growing from it and am grateful for the spiritual increase that this trial has brought to my life. But I guess that's why we have trials, isn't it? To stretch us and mold us to the best person we can be.

Our time in Virginia was definitely surreal to us. Jeff related it to going on a mission – while you’re gone you expect time to hold still back home. We truly felt like we pressed pause on our life here and spent 10 weeks in a completely different one. We enjoyed seeing the sights in and around Virginia as well as up the coast and over to Pennsylvania. I enjoyed having a neighborhood to go out walking in and a backyard to play in as well. I loved how there was such a variety of places to go with Emily and it was nice to have the beach so close. I also enjoyed the opportunities we had to get to know Brad, Heather, & Ella better. I know there were plenty of times every one of us were in need of some time away from each other – like when we were together for two weeks straight and then spent a week together driving around in the van -knowing the whole time that once our trip was over we had to go back to living with each other after. But even with those rough moments we had a lot of laughs and created a lot of good memories. So I know I’ve said it before, but thanks again Brad & Heather for putting up with us for so long and being so generous and welcoming. We appreciate you opening up your home to us. We are hopeful for your return to Utah or at least to the West so we can see you more often. I guess when you’re here for Brad’s rotations you can camp out in our 3rd bedroom so we can pick up where we left off in April – if you're up for it.

The 19 different states we traveled to during 2008
(We were also able to visit DC & the Bahamas last year)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It wasn't so much of a path as it was a search. I was searching for random people from the past and thought "I'd bet money that Becca has a blog." You were surprisingly easy to find. So your thoughts of me and Jenn must have been heard by the Google gods because here I am! Jenn's blog is private but I'm sure she'd invite you. My email address is rachelkpeterson@yahoo.com.

Heather said...

I totally didn't realize it we got together on the "anniversary"--how funny. It was good to hang out with you, but I am so sorry Ella wasn't feeling like herself. I only hope she didn't spread any of those germs to sweet Emily!