Friday, February 8, 2008

Tis the Season?

NOTE: For our morning routine I usually will empty the dishwasher while Emily has her breakfast. Then while I eat my breakfast, we sit at the table and read our scriptures - I have my Book of Mormon and Emily has a little picture Book of Mormon that my mom made for her for Christmas. The last month or so as we've been looking at the pictures I've been telling her who the people are. She now looks at the picture of the first vision and names "Jo-shuf", "Je-shus" and "Daddy" (after I told her Heavenly Father wasn't another Jesus and that it was Jesus' daddy). The next picture is of Jesus on the cross and Emily always says "ow" and kisses the page (she's such a sweetheart!). Emily also attempts to say Nephi but it sounds different every time ... but when asked what he's telling his brother's to do, she folds her arms and says "pay." She points to the picture of Samuel the Lamanite and says "Sam" (thanks to having a cousin named Sam she remembers this page really well).


****

On Thursday I had to make an emergency run to the grocery store for some milk. As Emily and I were speed walking across the store we came across someone dressed up in a Keebler Elf costume and handing out candy. Emily sat there in awe as I slowed down so she could get a sucker. After the Elf walked away Emily looked at me and whispered, "Santa." Laughing to myself I told her it was an 'Elf' not Santa and continued on my way. Then on Thursday as we were "reading" our scriptures Emily suddenly looked up at me and pointed to the picture of Abinadi and said "Santa!"

I guess anyone with a white beard or red hat qualifies as the jolly old man in Emily's mind. To her credit though, the Elf did give her candy just like Santa did when she sat on his lap last December.

Oh, and I am currently trying to teach her that Abinadi is not Santa, but it hasn't clicked just yet.

3 comments:

Thierry said...

That's the cutest thing! Emily is so darn cute!

Anna said...

I love the associations that kids make. It always makes me laugh because once they point it out, I can totally see how they can relate two things that are nothing alike.

Perry's said...

That post is too funny! We can't wait to see you guys soon and see cute Emily in person, she is looking so big!