Friday, September 14, 2007

Like Father, Like Daughter

One of Jeff’s assignments this semester was to spend a day in a wheelchair. It was an effective assignment to help them better understand their patients - but it also had a big impact on their families. Since the assignment was for a full 24 hours I soon realized how big of an adjustment it would be to have a disabled husband. It was difficult for him to change Emily’s diaper, run around and play with her, and also get anything he needed from the kitchen cupboards (and of course that's just a few of the things that I noticed). Of course Emily enjoyed trying the chair on for size and also riding around on Jeff’s lap. But overall I can say that I’m glad I only had to deal with it for a few hours and the experience has definitely made me grateful for not only my legs, but Jeff’s as well.

No comments: